some years, the san had its own poultry farm. The poultry house, which had a capacity of approximately one thousand
chickens, housed White Leghorns because they are good egg layers. The object was to ensure a plentiful supply
of fresh eggs, which were considered essential in the treatment of tuberculosis. The poultry farm was expanded from
year to year until it had a capacity of five thousand chickens. The poultry farm was discontinued when delivered eggs became available at a cheap price
from near-by farms.
forty thousand pounds of fresh pork was produced annually at the san piggery. This constituted the major portion
of the fresh pork used in a year, and was the only part of the food supply produced on the grounds. The piggery was
started in 1914, near the barn, and was moved to a new location north of Route 22 in 1916.
Power House with its large smoke stack and Laundry, shown in the right background, were originally located near the
men's cottages and the water tank. However, once the chicken coops and piggery were eliminated, the Power House
and Laundry were moved to the site near the barn.