CRESSON SANATORIUM TME
1910 Mrs. B F Jones cottage gifted to the state of Pa.
San building plans accepted.
Woodman Lumber Company awarded contract to build San.
Andrew Carnegie sells land to Commonwealth of Pa. for one dollar.
Resolution passed thanking Carnegie for land donation.
Carnegie donates second tract of land for the San.
1913 San opened in January
Grace Chapel erected.
1915 First small school house erected.
West Wing built.
First Recreation Hall built.
Dining Room enlarged.
Medical Director’s residence built.
Training School for practical nurses established.
1921 Five more cottages were added to Men's
1922 A "playhouse" with swimming pool for the children built.
First x-ray equipment purchased
school houses constructed consisting of two 4-room buildings.
New Entertainment Hall built.
1931 Barn remodeled and made into a dormitory for non-patient male employees.
1930’s Work started remodeling the Children's Playhouse in the
late 1930's, converting it into the present Surgery Building.
1932 Children's House,
with a capacity of 122 beds, was opened for children.
1947 Chapel completely refurbished in 1947.
Streptomycin first used in treatment of TB.
built at the rear of Grace Chapel
Two doctors' cottages built and ready for occupancy.
1950 Units #1 and #2 opened.
Nurses Home opened.
Small addition built onto Grace Chapel.
Children's Department closed in August 1950
(Later became Unit 3.)
Major medical chest surgery routinely
Medical Social Worker added to staff in February.
Occupational Therapy Department established in February.
Nurses Training School reorganized with full time instructor.
1951 Entertainment Hall, or Auditorium, completely renovated.
Completed Units 2 & 3.
Tore down men’s and women’s cottages.
Nurse’s Residence renamed O’Halloran Hall
Alterations made to four large wards in the men's hospital, converting them
into rooms and small wards.
1952 Addition made to the Administration Building
Medical Service Unit was opened for occupancy in October.
Isonazid first used in treatment of TB.
Facility renamed Laurence F. Flick State Hospital in December.
1962 Administration Building front entrance
1964 Became Cresson State School and Hospital
Name changed to Cresson Center.
Transferred to the Dept of Corrections.